Question

RealDWG not supported in 2016 - workarounds?

• 21 August 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +11

We are running FME Server 2016 on Windows Server 2008 SP2 and have found that the RealDWG writer is not supported by this. We use this for outputting data to CAD due to the basic ACAD writer having issues with block attributes. I am investigating this but if anyone knows of a workaround that would be helpful. Thanks.

8 replies

Badge +16

Contacting Safe for support is always a good option.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @chrisw84

I notice that article says "Windows Server 2008 and earlier" - and the information I have seen suggests it should work on 2012 or later.

However, if it's a 64-bit operating system, you would probably need to use FME 64-bit. Apparently RealDWG is insistent on that. (See point #6 in this list).

You don't mention which FME type you are using. If it's 32-bit, then that could be a reason for any problems.

Hope this helps. If not, as Itay says, contacting the support team is a good way forward.

Mark

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I'm curious what the RealDWG writer can do with block attributes, that the ACAD writer cannot.

Badge +3

i create a template containing all the blocks,

Using fme to create them from the symboldefining dwg's.

The only problem btw with blockwriting wich the acad writer has is rotation (afaik).

It refuses to use offered angles.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

@gio The behavior of ACAD and REALDWG are expected to be the same. ACAD should provide an alternative to REALDWG when REALDWG is not available, such as on non-Windows platforms.

If there is an issue with ACAD that does not exist in REALDWG, please contact support@safe.com with a workspace and sample data to reproduce the issue, so that ACAD may be fixed. Thanks.
Badge +11

Hi @chrisw84

I notice that article says "Windows Server 2008 and earlier" - and the information I have seen suggests it should work on 2012 or later.

However, if it's a 64-bit operating system, you would probably need to use FME 64-bit. Apparently RealDWG is insistent on that. (See point #6 in this list).

You don't mention which FME type you are using. If it's 32-bit, then that could be a reason for any problems.

Hope this helps. If not, as Itay says, contacting the support team is a good way forward.

Mark

Sorry @Mark2AtSafe, I typed 2016 instead of 2008! We are on Windows Server 2008. We have 64-bit machines but in order to run everything we need to we use 32-bit FME.

It seems the issue has temporarily gone away so it may be ok, but from my reading of that article I might expect it to pop up again.
Badge +11

Contacting Safe for support is always a good option.

Thanks @itay, my first port of call is the community for ideas but I do on occasion contact support too.

Badge +11

@gio The behavior of ACAD and REALDWG are expected to be the same. ACAD should provide an alternative to REALDWG when REALDWG is not available, such as on non-Windows platforms.

If there is an issue with ACAD that does not exist in REALDWG, please contact support@safe.com with a workspace and sample data to reproduce the issue, so that ACAD may be fixed. Thanks.
Hi @reganproulx, re: the block attributes this is second-hand information from a colleague so I would have to ask him to pass on more information or contact the team. As I mentioned above the issue seems to have gone away at the moment, but I was beginning to investigate using ACAD instead and that may work.