Solved

AutoCAD DWG layer and spatial indexes

We're having significant performance issues with Xref drawings created by FME. In AutoCAD there are options in the "Save As" dialog to allow the drawing to be saved with layer and spatial indexes, but I can't find a way to set this in the DWG or Map OD writers in FME. Is this available somewhere or simply not possible with FME 2018? If it turns out this is not possible in the currently available writers, then as a work -around, if I save the template drawing with layer and spatial indexes, will this carry through to the drawings created by the writer in my workspace?

Thanks,

Gary

icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 16 September 2019, 19:34

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @garyb,

Unfortunately it looks like our AutoCAD readers and writers do not support Spatial Index according to our Quick Facts table for AutoCAD Map 3D Object Data, so it won't be able to read in the spatial index. I wasn't sure if you were using 2018.0 or .1, so I checked both, as well as the different autocad formats.

If this is something that you need, please feel free to share the idea in our Ideas page and other people can upvote and share their use case to inform development of their interest. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Interested in this one. Can you give an idea of the data volume you're writing out -- thousands? hundreds of thousands? Lines? Points? Have asked the team to see what levers we may have to pull...

Interested in this one. Can you give an idea of the data volume you're writing out -- thousands? hundreds of thousands? Lines? Points? Have asked the team to see what levers we may have to pull...

Hi Dale,

I am writing out 13179 annotative text entities (line labels), 63519 Points (various annotative Autocad blocks), and 60259 Lines, for a total of 136957 features written. In this case I am using the AUTOCAD_OD writer in FME 2018.1.

Thanks for considering this.

Gary

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @garyb,

Happy to report that our lovely development team has added support for creating spatial and layer indexes in the RealDWG writer in FME 2019.2, (FMEENGINE-61125), available in our beta downloads! Please give it a try and let us know if you have any feedback on it.

Hi @garyb,

Happy to report that our lovely development team has added support for creating spatial and layer indexes in the RealDWG writer in FME 2019.2, (FMEENGINE-61125), available in our beta downloads! Please give it a try and let us know if you have any feedback on it.

I just downloaded the 2019.2 beta to test, and it seems to work beautifully. Thanks Jovita, Dale, and team.

Badge +16

I just downloaded the 2019.2 beta to test, and it seems to work beautifully. Thanks Jovita, Dale, and team.

Hi @garyb, would you mind telling me, not a CAD person, what the advantages are?

Hi @garyb, would you mind telling me, not a CAD person, what the advantages are?

In simplest terms, this would organize objects in a drawing database, based on their layer and location in 3D space. This makes referencing of the objects into a second drawing more efficient because the entire database does not need to be queried, only the objects that are on the right layers within the area of interest.

Badge +16

In simplest terms, this would organize objects in a drawing database, based on their layer and location in 3D space. This makes referencing of the objects into a second drawing more efficient because the entire database does not need to be queried, only the objects that are on the right layers within the area of interest.

@garyb, I see, so this addition has no effect when working with CAD files without a database reference, right?

@garyb, I see, so this addition has no effect when working with CAD files without a database reference, right?

The "database" I mentioned is the (internal organization of the) drawing file itself, not an external Access or SQL database. This change makes references to attached drawings more efficient.