Question

Download and upload folder from ftp

• 8 August 2016
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Is it possible to download (and upload) a complete folder (including all subfolders and files) from a FTP-server.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The ability to download a folder of files from an FTP site is already logged with our developers as PR#69804. I'll add your details to this but I won't increase the priority since it's already flagged as intended for FME 2017.

The ability to upload a folder is filed as PR#59457. It's target is "future" meaning it's unlikely to be implemented any time soon. I'll add your details and increase the priority.

Regards

Mark

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.
Badge +7

The ability to download a folder of files from an FTP site is already logged with our developers as PR#69804. I'll add your details to this but I won't increase the priority since it's already flagged as intended for FME 2017.

The ability to upload a folder is filed as PR#59457. It's target is "future" meaning it's unlikely to be implemented any time soon. I'll add your details and increase the priority.

Regards

Mark

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.
I too would be interested in this.

I'm building a workspace to download and process data which is uploaded to an FTP server on a nightly basis. Each night a CSV file with the date and time in the file name is placed on the FTP server.

Ideally, I would just specify the folder and *.csv to get whatever CSV files are there (I can delete the file from the server once it has been downloaded).

Failing that, I can generate the file name as a parameter apart from one thing: Although the time is the same each night, the seconds value in the time can vary. I can ask for seconds to be dropped from the file name but this may not be possible.

Badge +7

@stefanh - with help from the FME community, I've used the PythonCaller to achieve this:

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/35179/use-pythoncaller-to-get-list-of-files-in-directory.html

The added bonus is that you can take the results of the directory listing and select which files to download e.g. *.csv

Badge +7

Regards

Mark

Product Evangelist

Safe Software Inc.
@Mark2AtSafe is this in FME 2017.0? It's not listed in the "Show changes" info when I go to upgrade the transformer.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
@Mark2AtSafe is this in FME 2017.0? It's not listed in the "Show changes" info when I go to upgrade the transformer.
@tim_wood

Sorry, I just checked and it looks like that got bumped. The target is now 2018. Only thing I can suggest is to contact support (safe.com/support) mention the PR number and ask to increase the priority. That might get it into a 2017.x service pack release (though I can't really guarantee that would happen). Apologies again for that. Sometimes things get rescheduled if something else important crops up.

Badge +7
@tim_wood

Sorry, I just checked and it looks like that got bumped. The target is now 2018. Only thing I can suggest is to contact support (safe.com/support) mention the PR number and ask to increase the priority. That might get it into a 2017.x service pack release (though I can't really guarantee that would happen). Apologies again for that. Sometimes things get rescheduled if something else important crops up.

Not a problem. Happy to wait as the Python alternative is working fine. Just wanted to know whether it was there so I could test it.

Badge
Has there been an update to this... I'm running 2017.1.1.1 is there a simple way to download all files from an ftp site?