Question

Reading client's Google spreadsheets

• 14 September 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge

I am adding a client's data from a Google Sheet to some shapefiles. I currently read the files online with my gmail sign in info but this is not a workable solution to incorporate into an automated workflow. Because these are not my files, but generated by the client, I'm not sure how to use Refresh Token or OAuth2. I am very new at all of this and none of those things make sense to me. Any suggestions on how to read in these docs?

5 replies

Badge +4

Hi! Maybe a good enough solution is that the client create a Google Account for sharing instead of sharing with your specific account. This one you could have the credentials for. Then the client decides what to share to this account or not.

Badge

Hi! Maybe a good enough solution is that the client create a Google Account for sharing instead of sharing with your specific account. This one you could have the credentials for. Then the client decides what to share to this account or not.

For clarification: the spreadsheet is posted online for access by numerous stakeholders who interact with this document. For that reason the spreadsheet has no required sign-in. So the client is not going to create a sign-in feature for an open document, but I appreciate your feedback..

I just signed out of my google account to test if that is what gave me access but it appears they are currently having problems. I can open the document when signed out but it hangs up while opening. Same thing happens when I am signed into my google account.

I really don't understand all of this stuff, I just need to read the document using the FME Reader.

Badge

@tsurveyor I was wondering if you ever managed to connect to the open google sheet in FME? I am trying to do this same thing unsuccessfully!!

Badge

@divil no, I did not. I do have another script that reads from google docs, but that is an internal form. We created a headless google account and use that in the workbench. The project reading client data was almost over so I didn't chase it further.

Badge +11

Hi @divil and @tsurveyor,

Not sure if this makes a significant difference for your needs or if you may have already been using this, but as of FME 2018.0 and newer, the Google Sheets reader uses a web connection for authentication instead of the refresh token. Thought I'd mention it since this thread began in 2017 when the reader looked a little different.

I gave it a quick test in the FME 2019.1 beta and I'm able to read google sheets that have been shared with me using the 'Get Shareable Link' URL in Google.

Here's the latest documentation on the Google Sheets reader. Hope this information is helpful!