Question

FeatureReader Query Operation not working

• 8 December 2014
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +1
Hi,

I have a directory containing a number of files, but I only want to read in specific files into the workbench.  I concatenated a list of the filenames into a single attribute with each filename separated by a colon (eg: filename1:filename2:filename3).  Then I input this into the FeatureReader as the Initiator.  In the FeatureReader I used the Advanced Browser to select the desired directory and the desired file extension.  Then for "Query the feature types specified in the attribute below", I selected my Initiator attribute that contained the colon separated list of filenames.

However, this does not work, and all I get output from the FeatureReader transformer is the filenames attribute from the "Initiator" output stream.  The files I want, are are not read into the workbench.  

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?  I have looked through other posts and is it anything to do with the fact that the Initiator and/or the files I require are not in Oracle? 

Thanks,

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

I cannot get it to work either. I think the issue might be related to what consitutes a feature type. For a Shape file, a feature type is the filename, whereas for a database, the feature type is the name of a table. I suspect the problem arises because you have to specify a Shape file (and not a directory) in the FeatureReader, and you have therefore already specified a feature type. So when you pass the list of filenames to the FeatureReader, it is possible that it will look for those feature types within that Shape file, which isn't possible since one Shape file = one feature type.

At least, that's my theory :-) You should probably contact Safe support (https://safecommunity.force.com/knowledgeSubmitCase) to get the definitive answer.

David
Badge +3
Hi David,

I dod not get that working as well.

I actually tried that.

It rather reads features (wich reside in files picked).

I only ever used feature reader for oraclebased objects.

..until i saw i did try this before. ...and made a workspacecombo to do the filepicking.

Path reader and featuremerge with the attribute that holds the cosen file, then to a dynamic reader (which after creation is "blanked" that is <not set>) called by a WSR