Solved

FME loosing touch with folders

Badge +14
  • Contributor
  • 117 replies

I have run into a very strange problem. To simplify work I have created two folders, one incoming and one outgoing. Note that this is on a external disk. I have dropped the files I want to work on in the incoming folder and gathered the results in the outgoing. I recently moved everything FME to an other location on the same disk and proceeded to point the readers and writers to the new locations. For some strange reason I can't get this to work correctly. Everything else is identical and FME claims to write to the new folder but it turns out empty. If I delete the writer and insert a new one with identical settings it works again. Is there some workaround for this?

icon

Best answer by aron 16 May 2018, 10:24

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The normal workaround for anything reader or writer-related is to remove it and create a new one. I don't recall ever running in to this issue though and it should not happen in my opinion, if you change the writer path it should write to that new location and, if necessary, create folders (which, if I'm not careful, can sometimes lead to FME recreating part of a client's folder structure on my drive if they happen to have the same drive letter)

If this is repeatable I would recommend that you send it in to Safe's support, maybe create a screen movie to show what's happening.

I'm also curious, you mentioned FME reporting writing to the new location but that folder being empty. What happened in the old location? Did anything get written there?

Did the drive get disconnected and reconnected by any chance?

Userlevel 6
Badge +31
What version do you use?
Badge +14

It turns out that it was me loosing touch. The operator, aka me, was to blame. I did find the "update readers/writers", and that was really useful, so something good came out of it. Sorry for the confusion.