Question

Writing to file geodatabase

• 5 November 2014
  • 7 replies

Badge
The workspace I am using , reads a FGDB and writes to FGDB. To write to fgdb, a workspace uses schema exported from source fgdb as a template. In this way output fgdb will comprise all feature classes (with and without features) as well as a inherent topology from source fgdb. The flaw here is writing a topology too. This is something we do not want to. The advantage is writing feature class although it is empty.

If I avoid to use schema in order to create a fgdb with the same structure, and use option 'Impory feature types' from Writer, the result will be no topology (as wanted) and all feature classes except these which are empty. Thus, If there is no feature written to fc, then this fc won't be written. This in an unwanted result.

The same situation is by using dynamic writer too...

To summerize my needs: no topology and all fcs have to written (regardless whteher they are empty or not).

Maybe this topic is very trivial to someone, but I am stuck on it.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

unfortunately, writing empty feature classes isn't easily done with FME. This is because FME is feature-based and not dataset-based, meaning that as long as there are no features entering an output feature type, then this feature type won't be created or truncated.

David
Badge
Hi,

I understand what are you saying, but I still have this feeling that a 'solution' is very possible somehow, maybe to influence schema.xml and remove topology data wthin it. I take a look at it, but I don't see where are information about topology. Or best would be for smart guys from Safe to think about how to tackle this issue because If it is possible by using schema, then I believe It is possible to integrate it in other way too.

Thank you David!
Userlevel 4
I agree, I think it's a good idea to contact Safe support. There are some hacks to allow replicating empty feature classes, but they might depend heavily on the underlying database and/or be rather complex to implement and maintain. Let us know if you find an elegant solution, though!

Make sure you're added to the growing number of users waiting for an improvement to this enhancement request.

David
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi,

I think you are on the right direction, you can try removing the topology from a copy source gdb and exporting the schema.

Itay
Badge
Hi Itay,

Actually I am not satisified with a solution using schema because changes in source database are continuous. The point is to reduce or best to remove all manual activities. And when using schema It requires to export it every time changes occur. 

Z.
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
in that case there is not much you can do but use dynamic mode, but then your empty fc wont be created in the output. Better ask Safe I would sya.
Badge
Yes.

Regards,