Solved

Automatic PointCloudThinner on Las Reader ?

• 1 December 2015
  • 7 replies
  • 1 view

Hi,

I'm reading many LAS files in a workbench (FME 2015.1.2.1, 64 bits) and I don't undestand why I have this line in my log file for each of my LAS file:

PointCloudThinner: Thinning point cloud from 2366939 point(s) to 50000 point(s)

I don't use any pointcloudthinner in my workbench but it runs like if FME automatically reduce the number of point of my LAS file. If this is true, how can I control the parameter of that thinner?

Thank you

Julien

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 3 December 2015, 01:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I'm guessing you're going to an Inspector transformer? It is possible for the Inspector to be set to do some thinning and you may not notice it. But if you can attach your workspace here we could look more closely -- we definitely wouldn't be doing this automatically...

I'm guessing you're going to an Inspector transformer? It is possible for the Inspector to be set to do some thinning and you may not notice it. But if you can attach your workspace here we could look more closely -- we definitely wouldn't be doing this automatically...

Thank you Dale for your answer.

My workspace is attach to this message and a part of my log file too. I don't have Inspector in my worspace and this "automatic pointcloudthinner" seems to appear in the start of the process.

In this log file you can see this at 07:59:26. "PointCloudThinner: Thinning point cloud from 1406749 point(s) to 50000 point(s)"

1-forte-pente.fmw

1-forte-pente-log.txt

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

The best way of finding the functionality is opening the FMW file in a text editor.

Then use the find functionality to look for the factory.

I tried this and found the Thinner factory while using a Data Inspector for output.

The best way of finding the functionality is opening the FMW file in a text editor.

Then use the find functionality to look for the factory.

I tried this and found the Thinner factory while using a Data Inspector for output.

That's an interesting way to analyze problems. I will remember for futurs problems too.

In this case, I see nothing about this ... except "No thinning".

<XFORM_PARM PARM_NAME="THINNER_MAX_NUM_POINTS" PARM_VALUE="<Unused>"/>
#! <XFORM_PARM PARM_NAME="THINNER_TYPE_DISPLAY" PARM_VALUE="No Thinning"/>
#!

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

After looking at the workspace carefully I think there is some strange problem here. If I remove everything but the LAS reader and the TinGenerator, I still get these notes. Seems like the TinGenerator is doing the thinning.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Okay, we figured it out. Turns out that the TinGenerator and its surface-related friend transformers first seed themselves with 50k points from each lidar file, and then proceed to populate with the rest of the data. So there really is no issue here, other than some extra and misleading logging. We'll work to remove those log messages in future.

Okay, we figured it out. Turns out that the TinGenerator and its surface-related friend transformers first seed themselves with 50k points from each lidar file, and then proceed to populate with the rest of the data. So there really is no issue here, other than some extra and misleading logging. We'll work to remove those log messages in future.

Thank you very much for your answer.