Solved

count number of points in a solid

• 29 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi FME community

I try to count the number of points (from *.las point cloud) in a solid. The solid comes from an extruded polygon.

The goal of it is to figure out if the point cloud matches an existing 2D CAD Plan. To do this I take the polyline of the walls and extrude them. Afterwards I would like to count the number of point inside the extruded solid (wall). If this results in many points I can assume that the wall is correct - if not the wall must be incorrect.

It would be great if someone has any idea and can help me. I only struggle with the count of the points in the solid.

Thanks in advance and kind regards form Switzerland

Dominik
icon

Best answer by dominik 29 November 2018, 16:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi, if the solid is a simple one which is created by extruding a flat polygon towards z-axis direction, a possible way is:

1. BoundsExtractor: Extarct zmin and zmax of the extrusion solid.
  2. SurfaceFootprintReplacer: Replace the solid with a 2D polygon.
  3. Clipper (Check the Merge Attributes option): Clip the point cloud by the polygon.
  4. PointCloudFilter: Create a point cloud consisting of points whose z-coordinate are within the zmin and zmax.
  5. PointCloudPropertyExtractor: Count the number of the resulting point cloud.
Badge +3

@dominik

You can use a clipper for that

Use your solid as clipper.

Badge +1

Hi takashi

Thanks for your effort and answer. In the meantime I figure out a similar way:

1. I use the 2DForcer for the point cloud (so every point is on z=0)

2. I use an PointOnAreaOverlayer to count the number of points inside the wall

This works perfect for me!

Thanks anyway!

Dominik
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@dominik

You can use a clipper for that

Use your solid as clipper.

I didn't know the Clipper supports 3D clipping on point cloud. Good to hear :-) Thanks.