Question

URL in email

• 8 June 2013
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi All,

I am just starting to use FME server and immediately want to make use of some fancy options :)I have already been reading up the documentation and this article explains the method clearly.

I basically need FME server to receive a mail with a url to a download service, download the data and trigger a database update.

The example json contains :"email_publisher_content{0}": "MyBody\\r\\n", I guess this is where the url will be present (?) does anybody have some tips/experience to share about this?

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,

Itay.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Itay,

that sounds like an interesting and fun challenge. I suspect an important question will be regarding how much you can control the specifics of the mail sent to FME Server. If the mail is sent programmatically from some other service, I think it should be rather easy.

The problems often start with end users, though ;-) You might have take into account that some mails will be written i html and some in pure text (hint: email_publisher_content_type{}). Some mails might even have both formats available. So you will probably have to parse your mail to look for URLs (beware: a lot of users also have URLs in their signature). Personally, I would do this using one of the available Python html parser modules if you need to parse html formatted mails.

If the service is openly accessible, I would also recommend some sort of security mechanism, e.g. by whitelisting the URLs or the senders of the mails to prevent malicious attacks (example).

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi David,

Thanks for responding, the email is sent programmatically from the Dutch kadaster (also via FME server I suspect) , so the email structure is always the same, which makes it easy.

The service is not open ,so I dont expect any attacks :).

I am succsiding in downloading the data and  using it in my ws, now I am just waiting for the demo license to implement it in FME server.

Cheers,

Itay