Question

Problem with Conversion of 3D data coordinate reference system

i have 3D City model in EPSG : 32118 , however i wanted t transform it into EPSG:4326 , but everytime after conversions when i try to view the output data , the geomtry seems to eb deformed adn i cant view it in FME inspector anymore .

2 replies

Badge

It would help if you could tell us what the input format of your "3D City model" is and to which destination format it needs to be translated.

Because you are converting from a projected coordinate system into a geographic one (lat/lon), this can potentially lead to heavy distortions that can cause geometries to self-intersect for instance. A GeometryValidator transformer could possibly be helpful here, but you have to provide some more details of what you are trying to do.

As there is not a direct correlation from decimal degree units into feet/meters. The data has to go through the transformation first then calculate the measures. All of the various Mercator's have different algorithms. I recommend reviewing Esri's Basics of Geographic Coordinate Systems course as a refresher.