Question

Truncate not working when Table Exists and Truncate Table First set as parameters

• 3 October 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge +5
Hi

I've got a workbench that's using the GEODATABASE_SDE writer and I have set the following as published parameters: 

Table Exists (Yes/No)

Truncate Table First (Yes/No)

However, it is failing to truncate the table when both are set as published parameters and both are specified as 'Yes'. There is no error message in the log, it just seems to be ignoring the truncate setting.

Also:
  1. If I remove the Table Exists published parameter and set it to Yes and leave the Truncate Tables First published parameter - the truncate works ok. 
  2. If I remove the Truncate Tables First published parameter and set it to 'Yes' and leave the Table Exists published parameter - the truncate fails. 
I really need both as parameters as I want to be able to optionally create the table if does not exist, whilst I need the truncate option too.

I even looked at a workaround of having a startup python script do the truncate with arcpy, but there doesn't seem to be a way of obtaining the list of writer feature types in the workbench to identify which feature classes need to be truncated. 

Anyone got any ideas. I really don't want the user having to go into the workbench to change the writer parameters. 

FME Information:

Edition: Data Interoperability (node locked-crc)

Version: 2013 SP1 (20130429 - Build 13450 - WIN32)

Locale: en_GB

Codepage: 1252 (ANSI - Latin I)

Home Directory: C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Esri\\Data Interoperability (x86)\\

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Server 4.0 64-bit (Build 7600)

3 replies

OK, I think I might be able to help, but you might want to contact our support team about this anyway. If so, visit safe.com/support and file a case there. Please quote "PR#31530".

I'm guessing you created that workspace in a slightly older version, because the Table Exists parameter was dropped from the SDE writer in build 13204. I'm having a slightly difficult time determining why, but in general it was to avoid the paradox where "table exists=no" and yet "drop table=yes".

Build 13204 also introduced a fix described as:

This option also caused the side-effect of never passing the TRUNCATE flag to the SDERASTERCATALOG writer which is now fixed as well.

That seems to show the problem you are facing might be resolved. Although your version is newer than that fix, sometimes fixes don't work until you replace the Writer. So, it might help if you deleted the Writer from the workspace and added a new one.

But... if you do that then the Table Exists parameter won't be there. Again, I don't know why, but I assume the experts here figured it wasn't problematic and wouldn't be needed. You would have to contact our support team to find out why.

I hope that helps. In short...

1) Try deleting the Writer and re-adding it (make a backup of the workspace file first, just in case)

2) If that fails, or loses you an option you need, contact the support team quoting PR#31530

Regards

Mark

Badge

I have the same issue. I'm going to get Safe to answer this one

I have the same issue. I'm going to get Safe to answer this one

Yikes! Just noticed I answered a question from nearly two year's ago! Good job I did though, if you're having the same issue. For sure, please do contact our support team for more assistance if my answer doesn't help.