Question

Add New Attribute to Dynamic Properties in writer

• 13 June 2013
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I've worked through all the various schema mapper examples but could not find one on how to add a new attribute to the writer schema.

I would like to read the source and add a attribute called 

CadLayer as varchar(30) with value of autocad_layer from the source autocad drawing

The source can have various object data attribute fields

one example i have in source dwg

MCCID_INT     integer

MCCID_STR   char  255

NAME               char  255 

i also would like to change them to char 50

I'm writing to arcsde 10.0 feature class

tx

Rudy

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

it usually works if you just add and modify your attributes manually on the writer.

David
I forgot to add my writer is dynamic properties, read from source schema and create writer schema

Rudy

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

In the case of adding, you just have to add the attribute in the writer, as David points out, in case of modifying in a dynamic translation it wont work since the schema is defined by the resource or dataset used.

The new SP2 provides better dynamic possibilities, but I dont have yet any experience with it.

Itay
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Rudy,

you can define the writer schema as an external table. Refer to "Dynamic Schema Examples".

Takashi
Hi Takashi,

thanks for answer, but i don't want to read writer schema from table, i'm reading it from the source, and just want to add new attribute to the writer

see my question - i want to add an attribute called CadLayer as  a char(30) field type and then mapped its value with autocad_layer.

I'm using schema mapper but cannot get it to work

Rudy

Hey Rudy,

maybe it will work without the SchemaMapper.

1. You set up you dynamic schema

2. Expose the autocad_layer attribute if necessary in the reader feature type  properties

3. Use an AttributeCopier to copy the values form autocad_layer to your new attribute CadLayer

4. In your writer feature type create a new user attribute called CadLayer with varchar(30) (if necessary connect the attribute from the AttributeCopier to the Writer Attribute you created).

Hope that works,

best regards,

Stefan

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

I understood your requirement, but I think a new attribute cannot be added to the writer schema as long as you use the source schema for the writer.   I often use a common table for both of the SchemaMapper and  the writer dynamic schema. The table has 6 fields: Feature Type + New Attribute Name *+ Old Attribute Name * Attribute Data Type + Geometry Type + Attribute Sequence + (* for the SchemaMapper, + for the writer)   And when I need to add new attributes to the output features, I do that before the SchemaMapper (exposing autocad_layer in your case).

I think this trick is convenient to manage attribute mapping and dynamic writer schema consistently. Although this doesn't fit to your requirement exactly, if you are using a SchemaMapper, it might be worth considering.

Takashi