Question

Using PointConnector to create polygon shapefile from text file

• 16 February 2016
  • 4 replies

I have a text file extracted from an Oracle Spatial Object containing an ID field and ST_GEOMETRY with a pipe delimiter between the fields. I would like to create a polygon shapefile from it using PointConnector, or any other transformer. PointConnector does not recognize the ST_GEOMETRY field.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

Could you restructure the geometry attribute to something like this ( POLYGON ((30 10, 40 40, 20 40, 10 20, 30 10)) ) using the StringReplacer and feed that to the GeometryReplacer usng the WKT encoding?

Badge +10

I've done it before but it's not straightforward. When I've had to do this it involves extracting the coordinates from the string and sending them into a vertex creator before using the point connector Donut geometries and other more complex shapes also need special treatment.

Userlevel 4

Could you post a line from your file here so we can see exactly what it looks like? The most important bit is the geometry, of course.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Yes, either an AttributeSplitter/VertexCreator combo or try to restructure it in a form (like WKT) that FME can decipher. Alternatively (a long shot) try reading the file with the CSV reader using a pipe delimiter? Not sure how far that would get you but I throw it out as a suggestion.