Question

Writing multiple different PNG's in multiple pdf's using a path reference

• 14 November 2019
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

I currently have an excel containing a few hundreds of addresses and information, which needs to be put into multiple PDFs. Each PDF need to contain an introduction letter and a map. This map is generated in ArcMap and exported as png. The excel contains a path reference to a folder where all the png's are stored. So, each excel value (letter) has it's unique png.

I'm trying to create a PDF page for each png, for this I am using the pdf_page_formatter. I succeeded in generating a page for each map (by using pdf_page_number). However, the png will not show-up in the PDF. Is there a way that FME will load the png in the PDF, using only a path reference?

For example: C:\\Temp\\output\\105899887_RDK02K4525.png

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @michielol,

Thanks for your question! Unfortunately we don't have the capability to embed external images in PDF, but there are two possible workarounds:

The first is to use a FeatureReader to read in your PNGs as a raster and then embed them directly into the PDF.

The other idea is if the end user wants to be able to navigate to the file but not actually see it in the PDF, you can use a PDFStyler to add a URL like: "file://c:/Temp/output/105899887_RDK02K4525.png"

Hi @michielol,

Thanks for your question! Unfortunately we don't have the capability to embed external images in PDF, but there are two possible workarounds:

The first is to use a FeatureReader to read in your PNGs as a raster and then embed them directly into the PDF.

The other idea is if the end user wants to be able to navigate to the file but not actually see it in the PDF, you can use a PDFStyler to add a URL like: "file://c:/Temp/output/105899887_RDK02K4525.png"

Thank you for your reply.