Question

Does upgrading from FME SP4 to FME 2013 require a reboot?

• 17 April 2013
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Hello,

I am very interested in upgrading my development  and production web servers to FME 2013 due to an issue I am having when trying to convert AutoCAD .DWG files into Adobe Geospatial Files. 

The error I received from the FME 2012 SP4 log when using Universal Viewer is as followed:

AutoCAD Reader: Unknown or unsupported version of AutoCAD file 'AC1027'. Most recent supported version is 'AC1024', which is also known as 'Release2010'

I am assuming that the .DWG was created with a version of AutoCAD that FME 2012 SP4 can not handle; however, I am hoping FME 2013 can.  The big thing is that I am hoping to not have a production server outage.

If someone can help me out, I'd appreciate it!  Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Nick,

it is normally not necessary to reboot the machine when upgrading FME, but I would still recommend that this be done during a planned maintenance window where a potential reboot of the server will not cause any problems.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to production environments, in my opinion :-)

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
I'm assuming it's just FME Desktop? This shouldn't need a reboot. I can't remember the last time that a new FME install made me do that. And I really can't think of any interaction with another product that would require that. As long as you aren't running 2012-SP4 while you're trying to uninstall it!

I've not confirmed this with our build and release team at Safe, but I am quite confident.

FME Server is an entirely different proposition.