Question

S57 reader get Update application date

Badge

I use the S57 reader to read a 000 file and have set the parameter "Action to Take on Update" to True so that the update files (001, 002 and so on) will be applied. When the reader apply an update I expect that the attribute UADT (Update application date) on the DSID object will be the date from the last update file. When I use the Inspector to watch the object the UADT has the same value as ISDT (which is the date when the 000 file is created).

Is there an error or is there something I have to do to get the correct UADT?

12 replies

Badge +2

I think it would be the DSID ISDT date attribute that you would expect to change - see the ENC specification - section 5.7 Updating. I've checked some NOAA datasets we have in EasyENC and the Application of Last Update doesn't seem to change in most datasets. If you ave an example dataset you can send us with the the different dates we can take a look.

Badge

Hi @MarkAtSafe

When I reade the specification, I do the same interpretation as you. It's the ISDT attribute that will change. But when I look at the dataset i dKart Inspector it's the UADT attribute that changes when loadning the update. My problem is that no one off the attributes change in FME when the update file is applied. The ISDT and UADT attributes keep the same value even with the update file applied..

I attach a workspace template that read a test dataset downloaded from IHO. s57-2-inspector.fmwt

Badge +2

Hi @MarkAtSafe

When I reade the specification, I do the same interpretation as you. It's the ISDT attribute that will change. But when I look at the dataset i dKart Inspector it's the UADT attribute that changes when loadning the update. My problem is that no one off the attributes change in FME when the update file is applied. The ISDT and UADT attributes keep the same value even with the update file applied..

I attach a workspace template that read a test dataset downloaded from IHO. s57-2-inspector.fmwt

@keoe I've confirmed your problem with the data you sent using the Esri S57 Viewer. I've filed a change request and we'll try and get this fixed in FME.

Badge
@keoe I've confirmed your problem with the data you sent using the Esri S57 Viewer. I've filed a change request and we'll try and get this fixed in FME.

Hi @Mark2AtSafe, can you please provide me with an update on the change request? Has this bug been fixed in FME? Thanks

Badge

I've also tested and found that the s57_update_file{} and s57_update_type{} attributes do not contain any values when the feature type has no geometry e.g. DSID. If you expose the s57_update_file{0} attribute on the DSID feature type, the value will be missing even though it has an updates.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Hi @Mark2AtSafe, can you please provide me with an update on the change request? Has this bug been fixed in FME? Thanks

Not the same Mark (you want MarkAtSafe) but I checked and found the PR. No, it's not fixed yet. The status is "planned" which means we are going to do it, but haven't set a date yet. I can't really increase the priority of this one, so if you need the fix urgently and there is a good business case then all I can suggest is contacting your sales/account rep at Safe and letting them know. I think that would get you more progress than I can give. Sorry that I couldn't give you better news.

Badge

Hi @MarkAtSafe, has there been any further progress on this yet? We also use S57 data, and could do with this fix. The UADT (Update application date) on the DSID object should really be displaying the correct date whenever update files are applied. Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @MarkAtSafe, has there been any further progress on this yet? We also use S57 data, and could do with this fix. The UADT (Update application date) on the DSID object should really be displaying the correct date whenever update files are applied. Thanks

Hi @simondeeves Unfortunately there hasn't been any progress yet. FYI, this problem was filed as PR81467.

Badge
Hi @simondeeves Unfortunately there hasn't been any progress yet. FYI, this problem was filed as PR81467.

Hi @DanAtSafeThanks for letting me know.

Badge

I think it would be the DSID ISDT date attribute that you would expect to change - see the ENC specification - section 5.7 Updating. I've checked some NOAA datasets we have in EasyENC and the Application of Last Update doesn't seem to change in most datasets. If you ave an example dataset you can send us with the the different dates we can take a look.

Im hitting this issue now too, I need the DSID_ISDT to be correct after applying updates but it does not change, an example cell would be US4HA23M 015 005 avalable on thier website here https://charts.noaa.gov/ENCs/ENCsIndv.shtml, after applying updates DSID_ISDT remains at 8/3/2018 and does not become 11/1/2019 as I think it should. Im on FME 2019 atm though

Badge +2

Apologies that we have not made any progress on reading the update DSID records and updating the correct metadata fields: DSID_EDTN, DSID_UADT, DSID_UPDN, DSID_ISDT

As an interim measure, I've created a workspace based on the ISO8211 reader (which is the underlying format for S57). This extracts the DSID records and then processes them. Hopefully this is helpful for those of you still waiting for the DSID fix.

Example workspace (FME 2019): dsidupdates2019.fmw

Badge

Apologies that we have not made any progress on reading the update DSID records and updating the correct metadata fields: DSID_EDTN, DSID_UADT, DSID_UPDN, DSID_ISDT

As an interim measure, I've created a workspace based on the ISO8211 reader (which is the underlying format for S57). This extracts the DSID records and then processes them. Hopefully this is helpful for those of you still waiting for the DSID fix.

Example workspace (FME 2019): dsidupdates2019.fmw

Hi @markatsafe. Thank you for this. This is a really useful workaround ahead of the DSID fix.