Question

FME 2014 to FME 2013 data compatibility?

Hi,

can anyone advise? I'm new to the FME product set, so this may be a daft question. We have some folk using FME 2014, but we need to move them back to FME 2013. Will they be able to save their work in FME 2014 and then continue with it in FME 2013 or will there be problems with moving backwards like this?  Will they have to start over again?

Thanks for any advice

Pete

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

unfortunately, version compatibility only goes forward. If you've authored a workbench using FME 2014 there might be no possible way of opening or running it under previous versions.

David
Hi David,

thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case - its a usual scenario elsewhere. But you don't sound sure? Are you saying its a definite non-starter, or that it *might* be ok but we'd have to just try it and see?

Pete
Userlevel 4
Hi,

I don't work for Safe software, so whatever I say will be based on my experiences and whatever Safe has told me. As such, I do not know if there are special cases where it might be possible to downgrade a workspace from FME 2014 to 2013, but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

However, testing always beats speculation :-)

David
Badge
Hi

I think it would depend mostly on the transformer versions. A transformer would disappear from the workspace if you opened it in an older version of FME where that transformer was not available.

Besides that, you might lose some functionality - for example if you added workspace info like usage and legal info, then opened that workspace in a version of FME before that capability was included, then that would be lost. And, in some cases, FME might complain about the file and refuse to open it.

If you really need to do this then the best way is probably to open the workspace in 2014, select all the objects, and copy them. Then open FME 2013 and paste the contents into there. I think that way is the safest with the best chance of success

Regards

Mark

Mark Ireland

Safe Software Inc
Mark, David,

thanks both for your replies. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete