Question

Best practices when writing to DWG-files

• 3 July 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +21

Does anyone have any best practices when writing to DWG-files. Using DWGStyler - grouping objects, setting colors and placing text - legends - multiple maps - infographics etc? And using templates.

1 reply

Badge +3

Off course it is depending on what you want to write and how the DWG is going to be used, but I try to do the following:

- Always use a template when writing blocks.

- Create a table with feature definitions if you often have to write the same kind of features very often.

- Try to use a (local) AutoCAD standard if possible, e.g. in the Netherlands we have the NLCS which defines layers, layer names, block definitions, colors and the way paper spaces have to be designed.

- I actually seldom use a DWGStyler, I often set the format attributes directly based on the values in the feature definition table.

- Try to write the DWG in such a way as I want to receive it, so it can be used efficiently in FME. This means no elements like legends, profiles, notes, etc in the region where I could expect topography. I also try to put non-topographical elements in the paperspace in stead of the modelspace.

- Placing texts can always be a challenge. If possible I try to incorporate them as attributes in block definitions. Otherwise it often is a matter of trial and error, depending on the contents of the drawing.

Hope this helps you.