Question

Counting line feature vertices

• 1 September 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi there,

I have a set of point features in a shape file, where each entry also has a corresponding "point of entry" connecting it to the point via a unique ID field. So I use the Pointconnector to generate a line feature for each relationship via this ID field.

This is all good and well, and works just fine, but I would also like to identify all points that have more than one "point of entry", or vice versa. I've done some visual checks on my output, and there does some to be some cases of this. Essentially, these are incorrect. I need to identify all cases where it's not a simple Point to point of entry (2 vertex) line feature.

This lead me to the conclusion that the easiest way to identify these lines would be if I could somehow generate a count attribute indicating the amount of vertices each line has. This way it would be easy to spot, in my mind at least.

So, my question is, how do I count the vertices of a line, or, alternatively, is there a different way I can identify the lines that connect more than the 2 intended features (1 Point, 1 Point of Entry) with each other?

Thanks in advance,

3 replies

Badge
Here's an example from ArcMap. The highlighted line feature is an example of multiple points connected to a single "point of entry" (Small green starr is entry point). Those are the one I want to identify.

Userlevel 4
Hi,

you can count the number of vertices per feature using the CoordinateCounter.

David
Badge
Hi David,

Can't belive it's that simple. Works perfectly.

Thanks a lot!