Question

CAD Blocks with Multiple Visibility States to GIS Conversion

Badge

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a CAD file contains blocks with multiple visibility states as labels. any idea how to convert that to GIS?

Thanks

12 replies

Badge +2

Hi @judy. Could you please be more specific on the format you would like to convert into. Yes those labels or annotations can be converted. They are usually represented by points. If you could share some of the data I am sure we could show you how to do that. The result would be points with the text stored as attributes.

Badge

Besides the excellent point of gisinnovationsb (FME supports different kinds CAD readers/writers and the solution might be different depending on your output format), the basic way to solve your problem would be to not explode your blocks into entities (this is a setting in ACAD readers).

Normally, each block will be represented as its insertion point containing information on the visibility states.

Badge

Hi @judy. Could you please be more specific on the format you would like to convert into. Yes those labels or annotations can be converted. They are usually represented by points. If you could share some of the data I am sure we could show you how to do that. The result would be points with the text stored as attributes.

Thanks gisinnovationsb for the reply, I'm trying to convert a dwg file into Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb). I will not be able to share sample data as we are working on a client site and it is not possible to get any sample outside.

Thanks,

Badge

Besides the excellent point of gisinnovationsb (FME supports different kinds CAD readers/writers and the solution might be different depending on your output format), the basic way to solve your problem would be to not explode your blocks into entities (this is a setting in ACAD readers).

Normally, each block will be represented as its insertion point containing information on the visibility states.

Thanks jneujens, will try that.

Badge
Thanks jneujens, will try that.

Did this answer solve your problem? Or do you need more specific information?

Badge +2
Thanks gisinnovationsb for the reply, I'm trying to convert a dwg file into Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb). I will not be able to share sample data as we are working on a client site and it is not possible to get any sample outside.

Thanks,

Hi @judyz , if you want to retrieve the text, you need to extract the text from the format attributes either by checking the acad_text_string or fme_text_string , once you have that done your translation will extract the attributes and put them in your attribute of your choice in the geodatabase which you will be able to set as annotations or use as labels in ArcMap. It is a two steps job.

Badge
Did this answer solve your problem? Or do you need more specific information?

Hello @jneujens and @ gisinnovationsb,I was able to get the text values, thanks for the help. Actually the CAD block included multiple attributes (example ID, Type, North ...etc. , please have a look at the attached screenshot), I got the text values without getting the tags and prompt. I extracted the autocad_attr_def_prompt and autocad_attr_def_tag but always getting null values, any advice?

fme-cad-blocks.png

Badge +2

Hi @judyz

If that is the case and you are sure that you have done the things properly, perhaps FME does not support reading that specific attribute value. I am really advising without the data.

Badge

Hi @ gisinnovationsb , attached is data sample for your reference. Thanksblock-example.dwg

Badge
Hello @jneujens and @ gisinnovationsb,I was able to get the text values, thanks for the help. Actually the CAD block included multiple attributes (example ID, Type, North ...etc. , please have a look at the attached screenshot), I got the text values without getting the tags and prompt. I extracted the autocad_attr_def_prompt and autocad_attr_def_tag but always getting null values, any advice?

fme-cad-blocks.png

Hi Judyz, great to hear!

To help you with the attributes, I think I need to have a look at your workspace and some sample data!

Badge +2

Hi @ gisinnovationsb , attached is data sample for your reference. Thanksblock-example.dwg

Hi @judyz

I can't open the file neither in 2016.1 nor 2017.1 can you open it on your side?

Badge
Hi @judyz

I can't open the file neither in 2016.1 nor 2017.1 can you open it on your side?

Hi @ gisinnovationsb the file was 2007, I saved the attached file as 2013 (I don't have the option to save it as 2017 or 2016) hope that will work block-example-2013.dwg.