Solved

Can I use FME to connect to my Raven GPS system?

• 18 December 2018
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I use Raven GPS systems for tracking industrial assets. Can I connect to the API using FME? How can I use FME to make my life easier?

icon

Best answer by nathanatsafe 18 December 2018, 00:07

View original

1 reply

Badge +7

Chances are - yes! Raven has a pretty comprehensive API documentation. All it takes is to fit the pieces from their doc into the HTTPCaller in FME. The HTTPCaller is where most of the API magic happens in FME. By chaining a series of HTTPCallers together in a workspace, you can first authenticate with the Raven service, and then hit each API endpoint you need to extract your data. Once in FME, you can transform it, write it out to a database or file, merge it with another stream, or send it to another system in your enterprise. All this can also be scheduled in FME Server. If you're after automation, you can even have FME Server watch a directory for new file uploads or have it listen to an external API to trigger a workflow.

Tip: Check out this forum post for ideas if you're having trouble meeting Raven's authentication specifications. It's a bit tricky, but it can work.