Solved

Microstation Smart Solid looks like wireframe in FME

• 27 June 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I've drawing as a SmartSolid in Microstation with tag attributes.But, FME recognized my solid drawing as wireframe of solid. So how can i re-solid of this wireframe? or how can i import data as a Solid? not a wireframe.I also need to tag attribute value on solid in FME. So I don't want to lose them.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 27 June 2019, 22:40

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Unfortunately, smart solids aren't supported in FME. At least, it won't read them as a solid, just a wireframe. FME 2018 had support for simple solids. 2019 has support for meshes. So I hope that means smart solids will be supported soon too.

The workaround I've used is to convert my smart solids to meshes - which is straightforward enough in MicroStation - and then FME can read them. They aren't true solids, but they look like solids, if that's all you care about.

Badge

@mark2atsafe

Hi Mark,

I solved using by converting all solids to meshes.Thanks for your comment. It's very helpful.

Thanks again.

Badge +1

Unfortunately, smart solids aren't supported in FME. At least, it won't read them as a solid, just a wireframe. FME 2018 had support for simple solids. 2019 has support for meshes. So I hope that means smart solids will be supported soon too.

The workaround I've used is to convert my smart solids to meshes - which is straightforward enough in MicroStation - and then FME can read them. They aren't true solids, but they look like solids, if that's all you care about.

Hi @mark2atsafe . Are 'smart surfaces' supported yet in any versions, or will that also be in a future release?

@mark2atsafe

Hi Mark,

I solved using by converting all solids to meshes.Thanks for your comment. It's very helpful.

Thanks again.

Hello candemiroguz,

I am facing an issue very similar, what I've managed is to create meshes from areas but it wont work for the wireframes that come from Solid Form. It's been long since this has been posted but could you maybe offer some insight on your solution?

Thank you very much

Badge

Hello candemiroguz,

I am facing an issue very similar, what I've managed is to create meshes from areas but it wont work for the wireframes that come from Solid Form. It's been long since this has been posted but could you maybe offer some insight on your solution?

Thank you very much

Hi @edidimand​ ,

It's been very long time. But i re-checked on Microstation how i can solve this problem. Then i realized "Mesh From Element" tool in Mesh section. So, i think if you can use on your solid elements, the problem is solved.

Thank you

Hello candemiroguz,

Thank you very much

thank you very much for looking into it!