Solved

How can I convert an Esri Geodatabase into VPF coverage?

Hello, I am a researcher working on Digital Cartography. I am new to FME and I have been trying to convert an Esri Shapefile into VPF coverage (Vector Product Format). But it seems that the FME can read VPF coverage but cannot write that. Instead FME writes VPF database which I do not want. Any useful insights on how can I write VPF coverage using FME would be highly appreciable and helpful for my research.

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 21 June 2017, 17:34

View original

2 replies

Badge +10

@mhm_tamil A VPF database is a collection of data that is managed as a unit. A VPF library, similar to an ArcInfo Librarian library, is a collection of coverages that falls within a defined extent and uses the same coordinate system. A VPF coverage, similar to an ArcInfo coverage, may contain many feature classes.

VPF being a NGIA format, you could look at any converter for VPF Database to Coverage from NGIA

Badge +2

FME can write VPF datasets. VPF is a format, but is also very closely bound to the specific product (schema) that you need to write. VPF products include VMAP0/1/2, DNC etc.

Writing VPF datasets successfully if very dependent on the quality of the source data. VPF has complex topological relationships that will not be valid if the source data has geometric inconsistent, such as duplicate points, overlapping areas etc. The attached notes give a little more detail. complex-formats-vpf.pdf