Question

Is there a possibility to reduce the number of triangles of a 3D Mesh generated with PointCloudSurfaceBuilder?

• 27 December 2017
  • 5 replies

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

I am not an expert in this, but would using the PointcloudThinner to reduce the number of points in the point cloud before using the PointcloudSurfaceBuilder help?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

There is also a MeshGeneralizer (not sure if that will be its final name) being tested for potential inclusion into FME 2018. Short term @erik_jan's idea seems very sound.

Thanks for your answers. I already tested PointcloudThinner and PointcloudSurfaceBuilder as erik_jan proposed. The result is not bad, but I´m quite sure that it would be much nicer with the mentioned MeshGeneralizer. Let´s see whether this tool will be inculuded into FME 2018. Would be great!

Sorry, I didn´t use PointCloudThinner, but PointCloudSimplifier. This transformer thins the pointcloud considering its geometry.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Thanks for your answers. I already tested PointcloudThinner and PointcloudSurfaceBuilder as erik_jan proposed. The result is not bad, but I´m quite sure that it would be much nicer with the mentioned MeshGeneralizer. Let´s see whether this tool will be inculuded into FME 2018. Would be great!

Hi @batha7, I'm also not an expert in this, but perhaps the SurfaceDissolver in 2018 could help?