Question

IFC Feature format attribute

As a newbie with FME I started with the tutorial BIM to GIS (basic).I used the tutorial field, added my reader and tried to match it in the workspace to the source IFC. However, my IFC (exported from Revit) has very few feature format attributes when the IFC tutorial source has a long list, and the attribute selected in the Tutorial source does not appear in my IFC source.

Where does the feature format attribute come from? Is it from the revit IFC exporter, or does it depends from my revit model?

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Not a user of IFC myself, so I may be wrong but...

Sometimes format attributes are hidden by default, you can make them visible by either going into the Format Attributes tab of the Feature Type Properties and ticking the boxes for the attributes you want to make visible -or- use the AttributeExposer transformer to do the same thing.

Personally I prefer to use the AttributeExposer for things like this, the reason is that if I edit the workspace after not having looked at it for a few months I'll probably have forgotten I've exposed certain attributes, the AttributeExposer serves as a visual reminder of that. Same applies if a colleague needs to edit the workspace.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

When exporting IFC data from Revit, you have an option on whether to include Revit information and schedules as property sets. I would recommend including all of them. The Revit FME Exporter uses the same interface as the IFC exporter, so you can use its help as a guide: http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Document...

IFC has a hierarchical structure, and so many of these property sets are not feature attributes, but attributes of the various levels of geometry, which we refer to as traits. You can use the GeometryPropertyExtractror to extract these traits up to feature attributes. Leave the Trait to Extract entry blank to extract all of them. The new attributes will be prefaced by the geometry name in order to avoid duplication. Any traits that are truly duplicated (like the Materials for a Wall) will be stored as list attributes.