Question

WebMapTiler and ESRI's Mosaic Datasets

Badge
Can you use the WebMapTiler transformer with Mosaic Datasets as the input?

I want to create map tiles that I can use for a Google maps mash up. I have about 200 scanned mapsheets from the 1920's that I have loaded into a mosaic dataset with modified footprints to clip the maps. Building a single mosaic of all the sheets would be much too large to process.

If the transformer won't work, any suggestions on which one might be better?

-Colin

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Hi Colin,

It should be no problem to use single raster features with the web map tiler.

Badge
Does that mean an ArcGIS Mosaic Dataset consisting of 200 rasters in a file geodatabase could be used as an input for the WebMapTiler transformer? I have to ask, because at the moment I don't have access to FME to test this.

I will be handing the processing off to someone else, but I would like to know if it's possible before I spend the time building the Mosaic Dataset.

Badge +10
Hi Colin - I'll expose my ignorance of how an ArcGIS Mosaic Dataset works but I'd guess that it creates some sort of stitching file that tiles the many images into one. I have to say that I don't think it matters whether or not the Mosaic file can be read (though I don't think so) because FME has a comparable approach to mosaicking the rasters.

Firstly, the WebMapTiler will accept more than one image as input. So if they are all nicely edge mapped and in the same projection you can just read the multiple rasters in one hit.

If however you need to mosaick the data then you can just put a RasterMosaicker Transformer in line before the WebMapTiler. 

Some online resources for you while you are unable to get at FME to test:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Transformers/Default.htm#Transformers/webmaptiler.htm

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Transformers/Default.htm#Transformers/rastermosaicker.htm