Question

I need to go from EXCEL in address form TO KML

• 2 October 2013
  • 7 replies

The excel sheet  has the address  with the St Num and Street Name are in 2 seperate colums.   How do I translate this in fme to kml

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi,

A basic way is: 1) Start the FME Workbench with a blank workspace. 2) Add an Excel reader to read the Excel spread sheet.  3) Add a KML writer to write a kml file, and define user attributes named "St Num" and "Street Name" in the writer feature type. 4) Connect the reader to the writer, then run the workspace. If attribute names provided by the Excel reader are not preferable, rename them with the AttributeRenamer after reading features.   By the way, I think a kml file is usually used to save spatial data, i.e. geometries and corresponding attributes. Do those attributes have to be written together with geometries (maybe line shapes)? If so, you probably should consider how to merge geometry (where come from?) and attributes (from Excel file) before writing. e.g. using the FeatureMerger. If you have any question about this, please let us know your actual conditions.

Takashi
I am trying to show where each address is located by a point only in Google Earth.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

You can try the GoogleGeocoder from the FME store, but you need more than just st num and strret name for that (or for any other type of geocoding for that matter)

Itay
I have the state and zip also  what else would you need
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
download the transformer and see for yourself....type google on the fme cnavas the store transformer should appear.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
You can create a KML file with just the addresses instead of a location and Google Earth will geocode those on the fly for you. See "http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/How_To/How-to-use-Google-Earth-to-Georeference-KML-files" for more information.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Good example of why the documentation should be searched first ....