Question

Shapefile Polygon to Smallworld Migration Issue

• 21 March 2019
  • 2 replies

I have created a mapping file to migrate Shapefile polygons into Smallworld GIS. Some of the polygons in the shapefile have coincident geometries: basically a hole within the polygon that has a shared vertex point with the outer boundary of the polygon (these are legitimate holes and I would like to preserve them upon import). When the mapping file encounters these geometries, it will not import that polygon feature. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to rectify?

2 replies

Badge +2

@andrewortiz most GIS systems will reject a donut polygon that has the hole touching the shell. You can try the GeometryValidator with the parameter Attempt Repair = Yes to see if FME can help make your polygons compatible with Smallworld. This article might be of help: Invalid OGC Geometry Examples

@andrewortiz most GIS systems will reject a donut polygon that has the hole touching the shell. You can try the GeometryValidator with the parameter Attempt Repair = Yes to see if FME can help make your polygons compatible with Smallworld. This article might be of help: Invalid OGC Geometry Examples

@markatsafe that appears to have resolved my issue. Thanks so much!