Question

Why does the ESRI-JSON reader automatically expose attributes but the Feature Reader set to ESRI-JSON require me to interactively set the attributes that are to be exposed?

• 26 February 2018
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Why does the ESRI-JSON reader automatically expose all of the attributes in the fields list but the Feature Reader set to ESRI-JSON require me to interactively set the attributes that are to be exposed? Why can't the Feature Reader work the same way as the Reader?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I assume you're talking about the Generic port? You probably wouldn't use that (and thus probably don't have to worry about exposing attributes for it), it's for feature types that don't have an output port of their own. If you set up the FeatureReader with the same settings as the ESRI-JSON reader it should create an output port for every feature type with all the attributes exposed automatically under that output port.

@redgeographics thanks for the response.

It only creates the output port if you manually add the attributes to expose to the list of attributes to expose. The attribute definitions are defined in the ESRI-JSON schema and they are exposed by default in the Reader, but aren't exposed by default in the Feature Reader.

As far as I can see, there is no way to input a list as a parameter from another transformer instead either. I was looking for something like that or I was hoping for a method in Python like:

feature.exposeAttribute()

that would mark a hidden attribute on the Generic output port as one that was able to be used as a parameter downstream.