Solved

Any ideas how to parse csv data in single attribute?

• 25 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge

I have csv data in a single attribute like this (field names are first line).

Grower,Date,SampleNum,P,K,C

1000,05/01/2018,350,275,1500

how can I parse this into feature(s) with the correct collums using fme?

icon

Best answer by david_r 26 September 2018, 21:32

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

In the CSV reader you can:

- Check the box to have field names in the first row

- Determine the , to be the separator

FME will then read all rows and use the first row for attribute naming.

Badge

Sorry, I wasn't very clear, my data originates in an attribute downloaded from a webservice, not an actual csv file.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12
Sorry, I wasn't very clear, my data originates in an attribute downloaded from a webservice, not an actual csv file.

You can still do the same.

But use the AttributeFileWriter to write to a CSV file, followed by a FeatureReader to read as CSV.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Alternatively, you can use the HTTPCaller to download and save the CSV data into a file. You can then re-read the file with the FeatureReader (Format: CSV).

Badge

I wasn't able to get the feature writer to feature reader flow working, messed around with it for a bit but it still just returns my csv data under one attribute. Seems like I'm missing something simple. The data I'm working with is embedded in an xml response from a SOAP api. I've attached the entire xml response so you can see what I'm referring to. download-resuts.xml. I'm using the xml fragmenter to extract the data from get_sampleresultsResults attribute.

Userlevel 4

I believe this answer should cover your case:

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/78520/parse-csv-data-stored-in-database-table.html

The first feature will contain the attribute names, the following features will contain the values. If necessary you can use the Sampler to get rid of the first feature.