Question

Unable to get local timestamps in a worksapce on FME Server (Docker)

• 10 February 2020
  • 1 reply

I'm running FME Server 2019.2 in Docker Swarm using a fairly standard compose file. In the past, we have had some minor issues with time synching, and the containers believing they were in UTC. Most of that has been resolved, however, we noticed today that we are unable to get a local timestamp generated from within a workspace, even though FME server logs in local time, and all of the containers are pulling time from their host.

Using date, echo /etc/timezone or $TZ all return PST, however the workspace always returns UTC.

I've got a volume on all our containers to use local host's timezone (/etc/localtime:/etclocaltime:ro) with no effect. Does anyone know what else I can look at to fix this?

To be clear - all of our job schedules run localtime, but when trying to use date/time functions inside a workspace, UTC and localtime are the same according to FME.

1 reply

Badge

Hi @mconway,

The containers are indeed all running in UTC. I talked to the developers and we created a ticket to look into why attaching the volume (/etc/localtime:/etclocaltime:ro) doesn't work.

I'll update here once the developers are looking into this.

Regarding the schedules and log files:

The FME Server Web UI appears to pick up the timezone of your browser and convert the timestamps in the log files, when viewed in the UI, on the fly. If you download a log file and open it I would expect the timestamps to be in UTC. The same is true for the schedules. This way your scheduled jobs run correctly in your local timezone, but the actual values in the backend are stored in UTC.

I hope this helps.