Solved

FME 2017.1 upgrade restore needed for FME server Oracle DB?

• 11 August 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

I converted FME server DB from default to Oracle in FME server 2017.0.1.1. Due to a notification bug in this version, I am upgrading to the latest 2017.1. I am wondering if I still need to do the restore from the backup. I would think I just need to back up the config files, particularly

fmeCommonConfig.txt, uninstall 2017.0.1.1, install 2017.1, change Database connection in

fmeCommonConfig.txt, restart the server/core/db, everything will just magically work fine. Is this correct?

icon

Best answer by jlutherthomas 11 August 2017, 15:18

View original

6 replies

Badge +8

Hi. I suggest you backup your previous version uninstall it then reinstall the new one with a custom install rather than express and when you are done then restore your previous server config and stuff.

Badge +2

Hi @ag

Because there will be differences in the database and the config files between versions, we do not recommend copying configurations between versions.

You will need to do a clean FME Server 2017.1 install, and then create/connect to clean database that is freshly configured using the steps provided in the documentation.

To do the back up and restore, you can download the backup file through the web ui in FME 2017.0 and then upload it through the web ui in FME 2017.1. That will automatically populate the database in the correct way for FME 2017.1.

The documentation on backups can be found here.

Projects might also be of interest to migrate a group of items between servers.
Badge +2

Hi. I suggest you backup your previous version uninstall it then reinstall the new one with a custom install rather than express and when you are done then restore your previous server config and stuff.

Yep, if this is done using the built-in FME Server backup/restore option, not copying config files/databases.

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/Content/Tasks-Backup-Restore-Migration.htm
Badge +4

Hi @ag

Because there will be differences in the database and the config files between versions, we do not recommend copying configurations between versions.

You will need to do a clean FME Server 2017.1 install, and then create/connect to clean database that is freshly configured using the steps provided in the documentation.

To do the back up and restore, you can download the backup file through the web ui in FME 2017.0 and then upload it through the web ui in FME 2017.1. That will automatically populate the database in the correct way for FME 2017.1.

The documentation on backups can be found here.

Projects might also be of interest to migrate a group of items between servers.
Make sense. Will do a clean Oracle install and restore the configurations from the backup.

Badge +4

Thanks, will look at the custom install to see the options.

Badge +8

Hi @ag , note that you do not need to re-install Oracle database in this case. The FME Server Installer wouod just create the tables for you.