Question

LineOnLine Overlayer - keep lines that don't overlap

• 17 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I was recently working with LineOnLine Overlayer transformer and I encountered some problems. I have two line datasets and I would like to find the lines in one dataset that overlap with lines in the other dataset, but also get the lines that do not overlap. I was able to output the overlapping lines, but I couldn't find a way to also keep the lines that do not overlap. Is there a possibility to get the lines that do not overlap with LineOnLineOverlayer, or do I have to use a buffer and the LineOnAreaOverlayer?

Thanks in advance :)

Kathrin

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Could you clarify where you are looking for:

- Exact identical segments of lines in two different datasets.

- Locations where lines from one set crosses lines from the other set.

For exact identical segments:

- Break down lines to segments of two vertices using a Chopper. (2 vertices)

- Check if there are duplicates in within each set using a Matcher.

- Check if there are duplicates between the two dataset using a Matcher.

(Use Lenient Geometry Matching if direction doesn't count as different.

Could you clarify where you are looking for:

- Exact identical segments of lines in two different datasets.

- Locations where lines from one set crosses lines from the other set.

For exact identical segments:

- Break down lines to segments of two vertices using a Chopper. (2 vertices)

- Check if there are duplicates in within each set using a Matcher.

- Check if there are duplicates between the two dataset using a Matcher.

(Use Lenient Geometry Matching if direction doesn't count as different.
I have two different datasets and I would like to shift a line from one dataset to the other dataset and cut the underlying line with the line above. Like in the example below, the orange line should be shifted to the blue line and the blue line should get cutted by the orange line.

I already used a neighbour finder to always find the closest line and then I wanted to use the LineOnLineOverlayer to cut those lines..

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @kathrinkarer I've created a demo at https://hub.safe.com/templates/overlapping_lines which shows how to count the number of overlaps between one dataset and the other.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @kathrinkarer, if the goal is to split a line (blue) at the end nodes of a neighbor line (orange), this workflow might help you. Assuming that the lines are approximately parallel.

Hi @kathrinkarer, if the goal is to split a line (blue) at the end nodes of a neighbor line (orange), this workflow might help you. Assuming that the lines are approximately parallel.

hey @takashi,

thanks for your answer. I tried to produce your workbench, but i already failed at the start, because i couldn't find the vertexremover transformer. I am still using FME 2017, is the vertexremover a new transformer in FME 2018? If yes, is there a way how to do it with FME 2017?

Userlevel 1
Badge +21
hey @takashi,

thanks for your answer. I tried to produce your workbench, but i already failed at the start, because i couldn't find the vertexremover transformer. I am still using FME 2017, is the vertexremover a new transformer in FME 2018? If yes, is there a way how to do it with FME 2017?

The vertex remover was called the coordinate remover in earlier versions