Question

use same feature type (from one reader) multiple times in one workspace

• 1 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +7

Dear Community!

A thing which bothers me since a long time and I couldn't find any similar thread in the knowledge center:

I have very large workspaces where multiple "things" are done with data.

Quite often I have to use the same Feature type (of a reader) multiple times in this workspace

at different locations. Is there any way to use the same datasource (feature type) at multiple places

in a workspace? Only workaround I see would be to use a feature reader on these "different locations".

Problem with this is, that I want to quickly switch data-sources, and using a feature reader you have to remember to change the datasource there also...

So, best way for me would be the ability to "copy" feature types (of a reader).

Any alternative way to achieve this?

Thx and beste regards from switzerland,

Chris

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I would not recommend reading the same file more than once unless you absolutely have to.

You can simply connect one feature type to multiple transformers:

That way the data only gets read once (it does get duplicated internally when you're splitting streams of course)

If you have a large, complex, workspace this can become a bit unwieldy so what you can do is right-click on a connection and choose "create tunnel"

That connection is then hidden from view, so it doesn't matter anymore whether both ends of the tunnel are very far apart.

I hope this is what you were looking for :)

Badge +7

Exactly what I was looking for... Didn't know this "tunnel-function" exist...

Very useful, thanks a lot and have a good weekend..