Question

Python import error

Badge
Hi everyone,

I have set up a FME workspace that works fine and is scheduled to be started every day on FME server. It has a python startup script included that also works fine and has been tested.

The trouble is that the scheduled job sometimes fails, telling that the python script has produced an error : 
 Python Exception <NameError>: name 'ftplib' is not defined Error executing string `# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

The weird thing is that it happens sometimes, not every time. For now, when the process fails I just resubmit the job and it works almost everytime (it happened once that it fails again).

The ftplib is definitly included in the python environment (I tried to start <<path to fme server>>\fme.exe python and then the utf8 thing followed by import ftplib, it works flawlessly).

So I don't know where the issue can be, FME? FME Python? My script? Environment related issue?

Thank you for your help.

Anthonin

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi

Is it possible that you have a workspace with a Python script somewhere that (re)defines 'ftplib'?

Try setting both these values to 1 in fmeServerConfig.txt and restarting FME Server:

MAX_TRANSACTION_RESULT_SUCCESSES=1

MAX_TRANSACTION_RESULT_FAILURES=1

This forces the engines to restart after every translation. If this works, consider analyzing all your running workspaces with Python scripts to look for potential conflicts with ftplib.

David
Badge
Thank you David.

I don't think I have something redfinning ftplib, but I will check.

I will try what you propose and keep this thread informed on what's going on after that (it should run at least a week before telling if it works or not).

Thanks.

Anthonin
Badge
Hi,

So it appears not to work. Indeed the process failed the day after I made the changes. And the day after too (same error).

Besides, for some reasons I don't know why, all the processes have been queued this weekend. I back up the original configuration to see if it's better...
Badge
Hi,

Just an update to tell that I still have the same issue in FME Server 2015. I tried to re-upload the workspace several times, use a custom Python interpreter, a try catch loop on the import... Nothing worked. It appears to only affect ftplib module. If nobody has any inputs on that, I think I will redesign my code so that it does not use ftplib anymore (I have the chance to have the data available on a classical HTTP server).

Thanks,

Anthonin
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Hi,

Just an update to tell that I still have the same issue in FME Server 2015. I tried to re-upload the workspace several times, use a custom Python interpreter, a try catch loop on the import... Nothing worked. It appears to only affect ftplib module. If nobody has any inputs on that, I think I will redesign my code so that it does not use ftplib anymore (I have the chance to have the data available on a classical HTTP server).

Thanks,

Anthonin

Have you contacted the Safe support team about this issue? If not, I think you should. www.safe.com/support