Question

How do you remove bands from ecw or tiff?

I'm a total FME novice trying to convert an ecw (Generated from a tif) to a jpg, but it keeps failing because the jpg writer cannot support more than 3 bands....

What are these bands and how do i get around this problem? I just need a straight forward jpg.. no coordinates.

Thanks in advance for your help..

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

If you need to only keep specific three bands (or remove other than them), you can use the RasterBandKeeper or the RasterBandRemover. See the help documentation on them.

Badge +2

Hi,

You need to use a RasterSelector to select the band you want to remove with the RasterBandRemover

See the workspace in attachment

ecw2jpeg.fmw

Badge +11

Hi,

You need to use a RasterSelector to select the band you want to remove with the RasterBandRemover

See the workspace in attachment

ecw2jpeg.fmw

Hi @lau, thanks for sharing your answer and taking the time to mock up a workspace! Unfortunately, it looks like the Forums had a hiccup during the upload and I can't seem to access the file. Would you be able to upload your workspace file again?

Badge +11

Hi @paulgaughanv,

To add onto @lau and @takashi's excellent answers, I just wanted to link a few resources that they have already mentioned and any examples I can think of for any other novice users stumbling upon this question in the future:

It might be good to inspect your source data (either in the Data Inspector or the Visual Preview) and check that you have 3 bands, for example: Band 0 (RED8), Band 1 (GREEN8), Band 2 (BLUE8). And if you have more than that, then consider using either the RasterBandRemover or RasterBandKeeper as takashi has suggested. I believe the RasterBandKeeper might be the easiest method for you to just select Red, Green, and Blue.

Let us know how that works for you (: