Question

Pick List in Excel Template

• 8 January 2018
  • 2 replies

I have an Excel Writer writing outputs of a workspace into a spreadsheet, I have also provided this writer with the location of an Excel Template which also happens to be an xlsx file as the extension of the writer and template need to be the same. In my template file I have a picklist in one of the columns which contain different values, this was enabled in the Data Validation menu of Excel. The picklist works as expected in the Template, after saving and running the workspace the output has all the correct values in the spreadsheet, however the column which should have picklists doesn't contain these and only has the column name. How can I enable this to carry through from the template to the actual writer?

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Right now it looks like this isn't officially supported in FME. There is an existing request (ref PR#53630) and I have added a link to this thread and increased the priority for the issue.

Having said that, I did read info from another user that says this may work when:

• list values are hardcoded into the data validation setup (ie don't refer to other cells)
  • list values refer to values within the same tab
  • list values refer to values in a named range

It does not work where list values refer to a range in a separate tab.

I'm hoping this might be of some use. Otherwise I'm afraid I don't see a workaround for the issue and we'll have to wait for the PR to be fixed. But I don't see a specified date for that and so it might be a while before it is implemented.

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you,

Mark

Right now it looks like this isn't officially supported in FME. There is an existing request (ref PR#53630) and I have added a link to this thread and increased the priority for the issue.

Having said that, I did read info from another user that says this may work when:

• list values are hardcoded into the data validation setup (ie don't refer to other cells)
  • list values refer to values within the same tab
  • list values refer to values in a named range

It does not work where list values refer to a range in a separate tab.

I'm hoping this might be of some use. Otherwise I'm afraid I don't see a workaround for the issue and we'll have to wait for the PR to be fixed. But I don't see a specified date for that and so it might be a while before it is implemented.

Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you,

Mark

Thanks for the workaround Mark! The named range worked for me.