Question

DwgStyler Polygon Fill Pattern does not produce valid dxf for ArcMAP

• 28 November 2018
  • 8 replies

@daleatsafe @erik_jan @ciarab

DwgStyler Polygon Fill Pattern does not produce valid dxf for ArcMAP.

Input data: Any Polygon feature class

Input Feature Class >> DwgStyler (Area Entity type: MPolygon With Fill Pattern, Fill Pattern Name: ANSI31, Pattern Scale: 10) >>> Autodesk AutoCAD DWG/DXF writer (all CAD versions tried)

It does produce an output as dfx file (output can be seen in AutoCAD) but the generated dxf file doesn't show any feature or it's attributes when opened in ArcMAP.

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @ashishgis,

The ArcMap CAD reader does not appear to support Hatch or MPolygon entities. Please change the Area Entity Type in the DWGStyler to 'Polygon'.

The FME AutoCAD DWG/DXF writer does not store user attributes in a form that is readable by ArcGIS. Please use the Esri Mapping Specification for CAD (MSC) writer instead. This will create a DWG or DXF file containing both the feature class attributes and the coordinate system in a form readable by ArcGIS.

data.zip

filegdb2esrimsd.fmw

Data (Input .gdb and output .dxf) , FME workspace attached.

I even used "Esri Mapping Specification for CAD" writer but same result.

Hi @ashishgis,

The ArcMap CAD reader does not appear to support Hatch or MPolygon entities. Please change the Area Entity Type in the DWGStyler to 'Polygon'.

The FME AutoCAD DWG/DXF writer does not store user attributes in a form that is readable by ArcGIS. Please use the Esri Mapping Specification for CAD (MSC) writer instead. This will create a DWG or DXF file containing both the feature class attributes and the coordinate system in a form readable by ArcGIS.

@DaveAtSafe I just uploaded sample data, .fmw and generated dxf using "Esri Mapping Specification for CAD " writer but seems same result. ArcMAP is not reading this dxf too.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@DaveAtSafe I just uploaded sample data, .fmw and generated dxf using "Esri Mapping Specification for CAD " writer but seems same result. ArcMAP is not reading this dxf too.

Hi @ashishgis,

Please change the Area Entity Type in the DWGStyler to Polygon or Region. ArcMap doesn't seem to be able to read MPolygon and Hatch from the DXF file.

Hi @ashishgis,

Please change the Area Entity Type in the DWGStyler to Polygon or Region. ArcMap doesn't seem to be able to read MPolygon and Hatch from the DXF file.

@DaveAtSafe looks like that's the only option I have. If I use Area Entity Type: "Hatch with fill pattern.png", it generates pattern (ANSI31) without boundary. Even though it displays nice separated lines but actually it represents IFMEPolygon. Is it possible to capture these as separate polylines?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

@DaveAtSafe looks like that's the only option I have. If I use Area Entity Type: "Hatch with fill pattern.png", it generates pattern (ANSI31) without boundary. Even though it displays nice separated lines but actually it represents IFMEPolygon. Is it possible to capture these as separate polylines?

Hi @ashishgis,

The fill lines in the hatch don't really exist in the DXF file - they are a display function of AutoCAD. You could open the file in AutoCAD and Explode the Hatch to make them actual lines.

However, it would be much simpler to assign a similar symbology in ArcMap, like the 10% Simple Hatch, to the polygons. This way the lines are displayed, but aren't actually needed in the file.

Hi @ashishgis,

Thanks @DaveAtSafe.

Hi @ashishgis,

The fill lines in the hatch don't really exist in the DXF file - they are a display function of AutoCAD. You could open the file in AutoCAD and Explode the Hatch to make them actual lines.

However, it would be much simpler to assign a similar symbology in ArcMap, like the 10% Simple Hatch, to the polygons. This way the lines are displayed, but aren't actually needed in the file.

Thanks @DaveAtSafe.