Question

How to write AutoCAD line types to PDF

• 12 July 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I need to convert dwg to pdf and one of the line styles is "- x - x - x - x". I can create different dash line but not sure I can add x in between dashes. I hear there are possibilities of either converting it to raster when writing or keep the vector form. I would love to get some idea on how to do both. Thank you!

8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +18
Can you post a dwg example?
Badge

linetype-test-drawing-demo-bldg-2017-01-09.dwg

Please find attached sample drawing and sample PDF created from AutoCAD just show how the fence line should look like.

Badge
Can you post a dwg example?
Discussed the option of using raster image with the team. The raster option is not a good choice. Is there any other possibilities?

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

linetype-test-drawing-demo-bldg-2017-01-09.dwg

Please find attached sample drawing and sample PDF created from AutoCAD just show how the fence line should look like.

Can you also share your workspace what you've done sofar?
Badge +3

You could create a LIN file using fme. In a user folder which is added to the autocad search path. (put it in front of the standard so it gets used first)

And yes, you can use text and even shapefiles for the line pattern.

Check for instance

http://www.foresoft.com/Tutorials/linetypeautocad.htm

Or editing the standard lin file (backup original). Not best practice though.

Badge

Your link is talking about creating custom lines in AutoCAD, we already completed this part. I am trying to convert DWG custom lines like "-x-x-x-" to PDF.

Userlevel 1
Badge +21

Your link is talking about creating custom lines in AutoCAD, we already completed this part. I am trying to convert DWG custom lines like "-x-x-x-" to PDF.

So something like this? (I cannot see any sample pdf)

cross-hatch.pdf

Badge +2

Was there ever a solution to this? (writing to a pdf using .lin CAD styles)