Question

How do I delete a custom transformer VERSION?

Badge +5

I have created a custom transformer that's linked by default. I decided at some point while I was making changes that one of the changes warranted creating a new "Version", so now I have a custom transformer that has version 1 and version 2.

I have since decided that I no longer need version 1 but there doesn't seem to be any way of deleting it as it's embedded inside the .fmx file along with version 2. If I could delete version 1 then I'd rename v2 -> v1.

I guess I could edit the .fmx file with a text editor and I'm normally ok with getting my hands dirty doing that but this situation seems a little too risky.

3 replies

Badge +2

Hi @nic_ran ,

I would delete it first by right clicking on it and deleteing the definition, then I would, install the new version.

Badge

Hi @nic_ran,

you would like to get rid of any traces of Version 1 in fmx-file, am I correct? Would you still need the current version to be Version 2? Or is the version number not a concern?

You can try Workbench > File > Export as Custom Transformer. This will create a new fmx-file which will be Version 1 (i.e. it will be a copy of the highest version of your transformer, all other versions will be gone). You then will need to replace your current custom transformer fmx-file with the new fmx-file.

We usually preserve older versions of transformers. Is there a particular reason why you would like to get rid of Version 1? Is this about the fmx-file size?

One more thing to consider: if your Version 2 is created using e.g. build 16174, it will be recognized by FME build 16174 and newer, and only older FME builds will retrieve Version 1. This gives you some control over what version will be used by users in your organization.

Badge +5

Hi @nic_ran,

you would like to get rid of any traces of Version 1 in fmx-file, am I correct? Would you still need the current version to be Version 2? Or is the version number not a concern?

You can try Workbench > File > Export as Custom Transformer. This will create a new fmx-file which will be Version 1 (i.e. it will be a copy of the highest version of your transformer, all other versions will be gone). You then will need to replace your current custom transformer fmx-file with the new fmx-file.

We usually preserve older versions of transformers. Is there a particular reason why you would like to get rid of Version 1? Is this about the fmx-file size?

One more thing to consider: if your Version 2 is created using e.g. build 16174, it will be recognized by FME build 16174 and newer, and only older FME builds will retrieve Version 1. This gives you some control over what version will be used by users in your organization.

Thanks Lena. Good to know that exporting will remove other versions.

The reason I'd like to remove the old version is that I'm no longer using it and I find it annoying to have to make a selection as to which action to perform (e.g. edit an existing version or create a new version) every time I open the custom transformer to edit it.