Question

FME 2019 causes Photoshop to stop working

Badge

Since installing FME 2019 64 bit, Photoshop CS4 64 bit has stopped working - (32bit CS4 still works). Also, a proprietary 64 bit image processing program has stopped working.

I'm on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, service pack 1. NVIDIA Quadro K5000 graphics card.

The error when trying to start photoshop is:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect."

(I don't get an error report from the proprietary software, it just doesn't run.)

Do you think this could be connected to the FME upgrade? - it's the only thing I've changed in the last couple of weeks (I'm not connected to the internet so I'm pretty sure about this).

EDIT - I have reverted to FME 2018.1.1.1 and everything works again.

Notes:

• With 2019 installed, Windows Event Viewer didn't work either - with 2018 it is working again. The error in Event Viewer was:

MMC Could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

Name: Event Viewer

CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}
  • I installed 2019 with Python 2.7.
  • I originally got the issue in build 19238, I've now tested the latest build (19253) and it still occurs

• This still occurs with 2019.1 (build 19608)

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

That's odd. I use Windows 10 with Photoshop CC 2018 and FME 2019, all 64-bit, no problem. Updating Photoshop now to CC 2019.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

That's odd. I use Windows 10 with Photoshop CC 2018 and FME 2019, all 64-bit, no problem. Updating Photoshop now to CC 2019.

Nope, CC2019 works just fine.

It's hard to say whether or not the FME 2019 install caused this (and if so, what can be done to fix it). One thing you could try is install FME 2019 and then install both Photoshop and your proprietary image processing, see if that makes a difference.

Badge

Nope, CC2019 works just fine.

It's hard to say whether or not the FME 2019 install caused this (and if so, what can be done to fix it). One thing you could try is install FME 2019 and then install both Photoshop and your proprietary image processing, see if that makes a difference.

I tried reinstalling the proprietary software after installing FME2019 but it wouldn't have it - however now I'm back on 2018 it reinstalled fine.

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I tried reinstalling the proprietary software after installing FME2019 but it wouldn't have it - however now I'm back on 2018 it reinstalled fine.

Going on a hunch here, but I wonder if it's the proprietary software that's causing an issue. Could you try it without that?

Badge

Going on a hunch here, but I wonder if it's the proprietary software that's causing an issue. Could you try it without that?

• Uninstalled the proprietary software
  • Uninstalled FME 2018
  • Installed FME 2019
  • (rebooted between each step)

Same result - Photoshop 64 bit doesn't work, Event Viewer doesn't work, proprietary software wont reinstall.

(Thanks for the support so far... :) )

(I didn't have any problem when moving from FME 2017 to 2018)

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

I highly recommend you send this one in to the support staff at either Safe or your FME vendor, I don't think there's much more that we can do in terms of easy troubleshooting.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @btl,

We've received your case and we're working with out development team to investigate the issue (FMEENGINE-60138). We'll be sure to update back here as soon as it has been addressed.

In the meantime, if anyone else is experiencing similar issues on Window 7, try installing both FME 2018.1 and 2019 on the same machine as a potential workaround, and let us know or keep tabs on this question as we will be posting back here.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @btl,

I'm pleased to let you know that a recent update to FME has resolved the issue reported as (FMEENGINE-60138) and the fix can be found in both the official release and the betas. You can find the install page here in safe.com/support/downloads Please give that a try and let us know if it worked for you or if you have any further questions. Thanks for your patience on this!

Badge

Hi @btl,

I'm pleased to let you know that a recent update to FME has resolved the issue reported as (FMEENGINE-60138) and the fix can be found in both the official release and the betas. You can find the install page here in safe.com/support/downloads Please give that a try and let us know if it worked for you or if you have any further questions. Thanks for your patience on this!

This seems to work for me - thanks