Question

Setting up a shapefile for different DWG layers with each a different feature table

• 6 March 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi!

Newbie here so i'll start by introducing. I work at a government organisation in which we use a management system and have a need for FME. I wish to learn to use it myself, to help our department and I think a lot of my 'work' can be done by FME.

My question:

I have a DWG of a road in which all the objects have their own layer. So all the asphalt have the same layer, grass has same layer, and so on and so on. But for the management system we need different information for the asphalt in comparison to, for example, grass. So we need shapefiles of both with different information. Is it possible that I take the DWG file and let FME translate the layers to shape, and give the different objects their needed feature table. So a asphalt DWG polygon turns into a asphalt shape with a feature table that includes thickness and year, and the grass line turns in to a shape with feature table type of grass and year. And they both will be in the same DWG.

My apologies if it is not all that clear, English is not my first language. If I need to be specific let me know, I'll answer as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance.

1 reply

Badge +16

Hoi @gegevensbeheer,

Welcome to the wonderful world of FME and a great community!

For this kind of questions its advisable to supply a sample of your data so that users can play around with it and have a better feel of the data.

I suspect its BGT data, right? Globally I think it is possible to do with FME, again some sample data would help.

Also have a look at the concept of fanout

Groet,

Itay