Solved

ArcGIS: Data Interop vs FME Ext for ArcGIS

• 18 December 2015
  • 7 replies

Badge

Some of our systems have one and some have the other. We have separate license servers of ESRI and FME. The Data Interop ext. does not use an FME Desktop license while the FME Ext for ArcGIS ext. does. What is the difference between the two?

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 22 December 2015, 23:09

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

This is probably a useful URL:

https://www.safe.com/esri/arcgis-data-interoperability-extension/

Badge

Thanks @erik_jan but this link if for a comparison of the extension to the full Desktop. I'm asking about two ArcGIS extensions that seem to work differently, at least as far as licensing goes.

Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

The Esri Data Interoperability Extension is an Esri extension that is purchased, licensed and supported by Esri. It is basically FME Desktop wrapped up in the Esri product. It does not check out an FME Desktop License. It can only be used inside the ArcGIS Desktop product.

The FME Extension for ArcGIS Desktop is an upgrade license that is available from Safe Software which will extend ArcGIS Desktop and act like the Data Interoperability Extension. It can also be used standalone outside the ArcGIS Desktop product. However - it requires both an Esri Data Interoperability license and an FME Desktop license. It is sometimes referred to as the FME ArcGIS Data Interop Edition. For pricing on this option please contact sales@safe.com

The FME Esri Edition license is available from Safe Software and also extends ArcGIS Desktop and acts like the Data Interoperability Extension. It only requires an FME Desktop license.

The webpage that @erik_jan pointed to does point out the differences between the Esri Data Interoperability Extension and both of the other options that are available from Safe Software. From an FME point of view, the FME Extension for ArcGIS Desktop and the FME Esri Edition have the same capabilities.

Badge +3

How does the FME Integration Console fit into this? Is this something different?

Badge

How does the FME Integration Console fit into this? Is this something different?

The integration console is a utility within FME Desktop that allows you to extend FME functionality into other supported non-FME applications. For example, you can use FME functionality within the ArcGIS Desktop product by using the Integration console to extend your stand alone FME license. (Esri Data Interoperability Extension not required). Other applications that can use FME functionality with in the product using the integration console include AutoCAD Map 3D & Civil 3D, Revit, Geomedia and more.

The documentation available here: http://fme.ly/IntegrationConsole more fully describes the integration console's role in the world!

Cheers
Badge +3
The integration console is a utility within FME Desktop that allows you to extend FME functionality into other supported non-FME applications. For example, you can use FME functionality within the ArcGIS Desktop product by using the Integration console to extend your stand alone FME license. (Esri Data Interoperability Extension not required). Other applications that can use FME functionality with in the product using the integration console include AutoCAD Map 3D & Civil 3D, Revit, Geomedia and more.

The documentation available here: http://fme.ly/IntegrationConsole more fully describes the integration console's role in the world!

Cheers
We had Esri's Data Interoperability extension installed, but we found it so limited that we uninstalled it. FME's Integration Console seems to be pretty much the same thing in a different wrapper. If that's the case, there's no need for me to test it. But if it can truly import any format to GDB and/or export to any format from GDB, I may be tempted to have a look. The main issue though is that I would have to swap my 64-bit FME Professional Edition for 32-bit...

Badge
We had Esri's Data Interoperability extension installed, but we found it so limited that we uninstalled it. FME's Integration Console seems to be pretty much the same thing in a different wrapper. If that's the case, there's no need for me to test it. But if it can truly import any format to GDB and/or export to any format from GDB, I may be tempted to have a look. The main issue though is that I would have to swap my 64-bit FME Professional Edition for 32-bit...

The Esri Data Interoperability extension supports approx 95 formats; extending FME, while it would look and work the same in ArcGIS ,would bring support for the full 300+ formats supported by FME Desktop Esri Edition. 2 things to note - 1) you need FME Esri Edition - extending into ArcGIS isn't supported by FME Professional Edition. 2) you can have multiple versions of FME ie) 32 and 64 bit (or FME 2016 and 2017) installed on the same computer using the same license. I'd be happy to work with you on your specific scenario. Feel free to send me a note @ info@safe.com and we'll get you sorted.