Question

Expose domains on reader for AGOL

When I add a feature type reader from AGOL, I get the coded values and not descriptions. How can I expose the domains on the reader for AGOL?

20 replies

Badge +2

@trang Domains are not yet supported on the AGOL Feature Service reader or writer. I've added your request to the existing product change request and we'll post here when domains support is added.

This would be really useful.

Badge +8

Agreed! It would be helpful to utilize either or both as needed. We are currently grappling with this issue for a project.

@trang Domains are not yet supported on the AGOL Feature Service reader or writer. I've added your request to the existing product change request and we'll post here when domains support is added.

Has this functionality been added to FME 2019?

Badge +2

@ianh this change will not be in FME 2019.0. However we have started on upgrading the AGOL and Portal feature services and support for reading domain descriptions is on that road map.

Badge +1

@ianh this change will not be in FME 2019.0. However we have started on upgrading the AGOL and Portal feature services and support for reading domain descriptions is on that road map.

Is this something that will be implemented in 2020 version?

Badge +6

Has this functionality been added to FME 2020?

Badge +2

Has this functionality been added to FME 2020?

@gvenhorst - sorry. support for domains did not make it into 2020

Badge
At the very least, can we have support for this in the ArcGIS Server reader? It is possible to connect to ArcGIS Online hosted services through that as well.
Badge +2

Hi there, Is this available in 2021?

Badge +2

Hi there, Is this available in 2021?

@mgg_beca​ Sorry - it doesn't look like this made it into FME 2021.0 (FMEENGINE-40359)

Badge +2

@mgg_beca​ Sorry - it doesn't look like this made it into FME 2021.0 (FMEENGINE-40359)

Hi @Mark Stoakes​ ,

I love FME. I use it daily and sing its praises to anyone who will listen. So it is weird that this 5 year old feature request is not getting any love. What's going on? This really limits the usefulness of the ArcGIS Online reader and forces us into awkward two step processes like using arcpy to download geodatabases and then FME to do the rest of the data transformation. 😭

Badge

Hello all,

Would save us a lot of time having this option. Is there a place where we can vote on future features? I vote for this one !

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello all,

Would save us a lot of time having this option. Is there a place where we can vote on future features? I vote for this one !

Hello @ana.j​ , there isn't currently an idea for this! Would you be interested in creating an idea? If you do, I would also link it here so others will see it in passing! Best, Kailin.

Hello @ana.j​ , there isn't currently an idea for this! Would you be interested in creating an idea? If you do, I would also link it here so others will see it in passing! Best, Kailin.

For anyone else coming across this post, Ana created the idea here AC Idea: Resolve domaines for reader ArcGIS Online Feature Service (safe.com)

Badge +2

@ana.j​ @matthewlaw​ @mgg_beca​ @kailinatsafe​ Resolve domains is available in FME 2022.1. When you add the Feature Service select Resolve Domains: YesimageYou'll then see <attribute_name>_resolved on the AGOL/Portal reader feature types which will contain the description of the domain:

image2Apologies it's taken so long to get this into FME for you.

Badge +2

That's great to hear thanks. Now to extend this idea - can we have a setting that retains domain functionality for fields that are read with domains? So that when we write to another data type that also supports domains they are automatically passed through?

For example if I use FME to backup an ArcGIS Online Feature service my single field with a domain will become two fields - domain code and description. I would prefer it was written out as a single field with the domain applied.

It seems like we could use the two fields and duplicate filters to create lookup tables for each domain and then this workflow to generate the domains: https://community.safe.com/s/article/creating-and-associating-geodatabase-domains-dynam but that looks like it would get complicated fast, especially for a table with many domains.

Cheers,

Marc

Badge +2

That's great to hear thanks. Now to extend this idea - can we have a setting that retains domain functionality for fields that are read with domains? So that when we write to another data type that also supports domains they are automatically passed through?

For example if I use FME to backup an ArcGIS Online Feature service my single field with a domain will become two fields - domain code and description. I would prefer it was written out as a single field with the domain applied.

It seems like we could use the two fields and duplicate filters to create lookup tables for each domain and then this workflow to generate the domains: https://community.safe.com/s/article/creating-and-associating-geodatabase-domains-dynam but that looks like it would get complicated fast, especially for a table with many domains.

Cheers,

Marc

@mgg_beca​ FME does not support the creation of domain tables or subtypes. To create the domains tables in Esri or any other format, you have to create them ahead of time using the appropriate data management application (ArcCatalog). In the case of Geodatabases, you can use a template.

Badge +2

@mgg_beca​ FME does not support the creation of domain tables or subtypes. To create the domains tables in Esri or any other format, you have to create them ahead of time using the appropriate data management application (ArcCatalog). In the case of Geodatabases, you can use a template.

Apologies - is this Safe published article incorrect then? https://community.safe.com/s/article/creating-and-associating-geodatabase-domains-dynam

It seems like it is possible, just takes a few steps. Is this an unofficial unsupported workflow?

Badge +2

@mgg_beca​ No - that is correct - you can create the domain from the attributes{} schema feature.

The reason I would suggest that this approach is not used with a data driven workflow is that you many end up with incomplete domains. If your source data has only domain codes 1,2 but the full valid domain should include code 3 then later data editors will not be able to add code 3.