Question

Datum Transformation

• 7 November 2013
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I need help with datum transformation,  I have a bunch of lines features with different cooordinate system, I want to transform all of these lines to WGS84, but I want to read the source coordinate system from the features and select the geographic transformation from a csv file based on the source coordinate system.  Is it possible to do this with EsriReprojector?  Or how can I do this.  Thanks in advance for your response.

KASA

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

You can use the CoordinateSystemExtractor to resd the festure's coordinate system, if there is a connection between you csv and features coord system, I dont see a reason why it should not be possible.

Itay
Hi Itay, 

Thanks for your response, in my CSV file I have a column with the coordinate system as it is defined in the feature, also I have ESRI_DATUM, and the transformation I want to use.  How do I specify the transformation in the EsriReproject transformer

Thanks

KASA
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi KASA,

Well the issue is that the ESRIRprojector will only accept coord systems form your ESRI product and not features, so essentially you cannot pass any information to it (either than the geographic transformation and its direction as parameters).

I would suggest the following:

Add the csv data to your features, split/test the features according to the input coord system and destination coord system.

For each stream of features use a ESRIReprojector set to the input and destination coord system of the features.

Add a parameters in which you specify the name for each ESRIReprojector. or use the string editor for the name (see transformer help for correct naming)

Set the ESRIReprojector(s) accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Itay

Hi Itay,

I forgot to mention that this workbench is for an hourly autoload.  There is not going to be any user interacton
If I want to use CsmapReprojector, how can  go about it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
well that makes life a bit easier since you can join the csv to the features and select that attribute in the reprojector, also no need to read the input coord system.
HI,

I am so sorry for all these question, I am new to FME.  There is no primary key to join the csv file to my polyline.  Also with CsmapReprojector if I read from source it does not allow me to specify the transformation???
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
If you have to specify the transformation I think it might not the transformer for you. The easiest would be to use the regular reprojector, but I guess that is out of the question..?

So the leads back to the initial idea using the ESRIReprojector, but to make that work you need to have a join.....or supply the necessary attribues in a different way.