Question

Make2D in FME - 2D drawing from 3D solids

• 19 August 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if I can do this in FME:

I have to produce an axonometric 2D vector drawing (SVG) from a Revit file (3D room geometry), something like this:

We do this for PowerBi dashboards, so people can filter data using the actual rooms, it helps them to undestand the building a bit better...

At this moment I have to rely on Rhino and their "make2D" command: http://docs.mcneel.com/rhino/5/help/en-us/commands/make2d.htm

It works, but too much work...

So, I'm wondering, is there a chance to automate this using FME?

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

That looks like a tricky task. What could work is the SurfaceFootprintReaplacer with a custom angle using the DropShadow setting.

This would let you get you a 2D representation for each feature. You would lose the boundary lines, however, so you would also need to create the wireframe of them. I guess you could break down the 3D features into lines and also put the lines through the SurfaceFootprintReaplacer. You would need to try an implement some logic to only get lines which should actually be visualised.

Once you are happy with the 2D representation in the Data Inspector I would use the labeller and then MapnikRasteriser to turn it all into a Raster which you can write out to PDF.

What might be easier is if the Rhino tool you refer to has a command line/headless option. Then you could use the same tool but calling it with FME via the SystemCaller.

Would be a nice workflow if you can get it working.