Question

Couldn't connect to server with HTTPCaller

• 14 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I am having trouble to connect to serveral webservices.

- ArcGIS Server REST API

- ArcGIS Online REST Service

- Geoserver WFS (with login)

The error I get each time is:

HTTP/FTP transfer error: 'Couldn't connect to server'

The connections are working in a browser (Firefox, Chrome). But none is working in FME.

I have tried several settings, but I can not get it to work.

Do you have any suggestions I can try?

I do not know where to search anymore.

Thanks,

Complete error:

HTTPCaller_2(HTTPFactory): HTTP/FTP transfer error: 'Couldn't connect to server'

HTTPCaller_2(HTTPFactory): Please ensure that your network connection is properly set up

HTTPCaller_2(HTTPFactory): No proxy settings have been entered. If you require a proxy to access external URLs, please ensure the appropriate information has been entered

The below feature caused the translation to be terminated

3 replies

Badge +2
I just set the Log Debug (in FME Options) and I do get some more information.

HTTPCaller(HTTPFactory): HTTP info: Unsupported proxy scheme for

What can I do to solve this?

Userlevel 4

My guess is an unsupported proxy schema. Unfortunately there are some ways to set up a proxy that FME doesn't support, which could lead to this error.

Can you show us (print screens) how the proxy settings are defined?

See under Internet Explorer / Internet options / Connections / LAN Settings (and possibly also under Advanced).

If you cannot access the settings (probably due to policy restrictions), you'll have to contact your IT department.

Badge +2

Hi @david_r, @stefanh, I ran into the same trouble, and this is what helped me.

1. Might be same trouble as mentioned here

2. Some organizations handle webrequests through a proxy server. HTTP requests have to bear authentication to pass the proxyserver, only if that one succeeds, the request is forwarded to the URL requested. 

3. For the request I used, there were also two kinds of authentication needed: to access the webserver I was getting data from, AND to pass the proxyserver. 

- The authentication for the server is provided in the HTTPCaller 

- The authentication for the proxy is provied from Tools>FME Options>Network

* Use system proxy settings
       * Proxy server requires authentication
       * Username/Password from the organization
       * Be sure to select the correct Authentication Method

RISK: If you use this for the automated start of your workspace, then your password may expire after a password change because it is typed incorrectly three times (by FME when accessing the Proxy). However, just selecting "Use system proxy settings" might also do the trick.