Question

It is possible to run password-protected workbenches on the fme-server?

• 21 April 2017
  • 7 replies

The title says it all.

Directly you can not upload these workbenches. But maybe using the FMEServerJobsubmitter. The password is then passed using published-parameter. You could upload a dummy workbench with the same name and exchange these directly on the FME server against the password protected Workbench.

Or are there other tricks?

7 replies

Badge +16

My guess will be yes (never tried it myself) since password protecting the ws is mainly intended for the desktop environment.

Badge +16

My guess will be yes (never tried it myself) since password protecting the ws is mainly intended for the desktop environment.

Now its verified, it is possible.

Userlevel 4

Yes, I've been doing this since at least FME Server 2014, no problem.

You do not need to pass the password for the workbench to FME Server, it will know how to decrypt it internally for execution. Which of course also implies that the password protection of workspaces isn't super secure, but at least that's documented.

Thanks for the answers. I have not mentioned that corresponding password is unknown. Previously, the workbench was run only from the console (No password is required). Is it possible to use the workbench e.g. with a SystemCaller on the server?

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the answers. I have not mentioned that corresponding password is unknown. Previously, the workbench was run only from the console (No password is required). Is it possible to use the workbench e.g. with a SystemCaller on the server?

Should be doable, yes. FME does not need to be supplied the password for the workbench to run it. Using the SystemCaller is a pretty non-standard way of executing workspaces on FME Server, however.
Badge +1

What about REST API? I think the same rules should be applicable. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Userlevel 4

What about REST API? I think the same rules should be applicable. Correct me if I'm wrong...

It should absolutely be possible to submit a job using the REST API even if the workspace file is password protected. Do you get an error?