Question

Request timed out in ArcGIS Online

• 5 March 2018
  • 3 replies

Anyone who knows the solution to this? We are doing a refresh from ESRI ArcGIS SDE to ArcGIS Online and this is the error that was encountered. How to avoid this? Most of the time I encounter this error, only sometimes that the process becomes successful.

ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer: Encountered an unexpected error. The error code from the server was '504' and the message was: 'Your request has timed out

3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I had this problem too, I first reduced the number of items being sent in each packet, which solved some of them as if many columns are being updated then it could timing out due to the large size of the packets being sent. Later I convert the FME ArcGIS Online Output into a Python caller which does the same thing in python and the rest services which got it working 99% of the time.

However I had a python code that was running every minute and it was timing out a few times a day on even the simplest request (eg getting one record from a two record table) Which ESRI are currently investigating as this should not be happening at all, I am sure its a problem with their servers which I think is across the board.

Hi,

I had this problem too, I first reduced the number of items being sent in each packet, which solved some of them as if many columns are being updated then it could timing out due to the large size of the packets being sent. Later I convert the FME ArcGIS Online Output into a Python caller which does the same thing in python and the rest services which got it working 99% of the time.

However I had a python code that was running every minute and it was timing out a few times a day on even the simplest request (eg getting one record from a two record table) Which ESRI are currently investigating as this should not be happening at all, I am sure its a problem with their servers which I think is across the board.

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution and the current situation with ESRI for AGOL. I will try and check how to connect to ArcGIS online using the PythonCaller.

Hi,

Hi @davidrich, could you please explain how you configured the Python caller to resolve this timeout conflict? I am working with a few large datasets and I am getting timeouts even after reducing Features Per Request to 300.